Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Service & Learning

Serving others will always lead to learning. Whether it's working in a soup kitchen, or simply helping a friend with homework, the result will be a learning experience for everyone. You can learn a lot just by helping someone from a different cultural, racial, economic or social background.  Seeing how other people live can be very humbling.  For the Urban Plunge, I was assigned to go to a homeless shelter for women and children.  I learned a lot about the women there, the volunteers, and even myself.  It made me appreciate what I have and what I take for granted every day.

For our service project, we will be working with refugees from countries of Africa and Asia.  I am very excited for the experience because I have never worked with people from such different cultures.  I hope to gain knowledge of their culture, and learn more about the refugee camps.  I also hope to provide them with academic knowledge, and knowledge of our American culture.  


No comments:

Post a Comment